Understanding the Various Aspects of Cold Rooms
A world without refrigeration is unimaginable! It will be extremely challenging and tough to live in such a world. Moreover, a number of things surrounding you will be practically non-existent that might include your business especially if it is related to food products or any other perishable product. Food items and perishable products need proper preservation, for which cold room is one of the best and first solutions that comes to our mind.
If you also want to preserve your products to offer them a longer life, we at Africhill have brought you some of the essential things about cold rooms that you need to know:
What is a cold room?
A cold room is a warehouse in which a particular temperature is artificially generated. These units are designed usually for storing products in an environment that is lower than the outside temperature. Products such as fruits, vegetables, meat, seafood, flowers and likewise need proper refrigeration for longer life.
Some Did You Know Facts About Cold Rooms
- The first cold rooms were known as snowfields, which was a well that has retaining walls of small or large dimensions, with openings where snow was introduced and ice was extracted. The purpose behind it was to keep the ice even when the snow melts.
- Cold rooms have been playing a significant role in the maritime industry since the late 19th century. These rooms are in warmer latitudes where the commercialization of products and the time factor play vital roles for the development of specific industries that need stringent quality parameters.
- Cold rooms or refrigerating chambers are also used for engineering products such as for storing chemicals at an ideal temperature for processing or to slow down chemical reactions.
What are the considerations to make during the operation of cold rooms?
Following are some of the considerations to make during the operation of a cold room:
- A cold room must be used according to the design parameters.
- Avoid putting damp and excessive hot material in 5 °/+ 5 °c to the rooms designed according to the working conditions.
- Never store unfrozen products in 10 °/-25 °c to the rooms designed according to the working conditions.
- When the compressor and condenser units are located indoors, you must ensure continuous ventilation of the cold room.
- When the compressor and condenser units are located outdoors, make sure to keep it safe from sunlight exposure.
- Make sure to clean the condenser unit periodically. Periodic maintenance must be carried out by an authorized technician. Chemical substances should not be used for cleaning.
- If you notice your devices working louder than ever before, there may be a signal of failures that may occur in the future. In such scenarios, make sure to get your device examined by a licensed technician as soon as possible.
- If the devices run at short intervals and there is insufficient cooling in the system, refrigerant might be leaking. Getting it fixed by an expert technician is highly suggested.
- Make sure to keep a check on the rubber seals of the cold room door periodically.
If you want to learn more about cold rooms get in touch with us today.